Thursday, November 5, 2009

Under the sea.... I did it:)

Today was a huge day for me. For those that remember, I got scuba certified last year. However, I haven't actually been able to use it until I came here. With Andy coming next week and our Great Barrier Trip close, I really wanted to get back in the water and refresh all that I learned last year. I was so nervous to do this on my own. Not worried to actually go in the water but just nervous that I would not put my gear together correctly and look like I wasn't qualified. Once I arrived to the shop though, all those fears went away. I dove today with 3 other people not including the instructors and everyone at Dive Manly was just so nice and helpful. It ended up being one of those experiences where I can look back over all my hard work and see how it paid off. I really pushed myself outside of my comfort zone and am so so glad that I did. I really like diving and even though I never wanted to do it on my own, am so glad that I did it for myself. So feeling empowered, I got two dives under my belt. We dove at Shelley Beach and did shore dives. One of the best parts of the diving was this blue grouper who loves people. Apparently, skin divers are known to feed this guy and now whenever he sees fins he thinks he will get fed again. As we descended he was waiting for us and would get up close and personal to see if we had food in our hands. It was so cool!

Now feeling more confident I am ready for diving up north and taking on bigger dives. It is such a great hobby and I really enjoy being apart of the diving community! Below is a few pics from the day and the girl I'm with was my dive buddy. She is from England and was fairly new as well.








On a completely different note, I saw Wicked again. I've seen it 3 times now:) I was really thinking before the show that it would probably be my last time waiting for the lottery. However, the show just keeps getting better as the actors get more comfortable with their role. I don't go anymore on my own hoping to and get tickets, but I do go with other people who are wanting to see the show. So, I can't say I won't try again! It is just one of those great musicals that does not get old!

3 comments:

  1. Jess, I am so proud of you! Way to go pro!!!
    Love reading your blog and how much fun you're having!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so impressed! I don't know that I would be brave enough to do that! How much longer until you come back? I feel like it's soon (late November, early December?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you, Jess!! I could never, ever do it. Wish you had an underwater camera! :) BTW, nice AU shirt. :) Miss you!

    ReplyDelete